Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Brewclub

I went to my first meeting of the Huntsville area Home-brew club, and discovered that the homebrewing hobby is illegal in the extremely progressive state of Alabama. (Why am I not suprised?)

Anyway, the club meeting was very informal, and it was a good opportunity to meet some folks & ask questions.

There was some lukewarm debate at the meeting, I wouldn't say heated, about some internal club issues, but it really wasn't a big deal. The bigger deal was about 9 different people appologized to me about it...

And then there was the sampling.

People who have made beer recently are encouraged to bring some & pass it around for others to try it... Of all the ones I had last night, one was bad (literally: tasted like some kind of cleaning product; everyone poured it out---I am told that this will happen to everyone at least a few times). So, despite it's badness, it was a good lesson. And the other 20+ varieties I tried were all between good and excellent.

All in all, very fun, worthwhile.

Now I just need to buy some supplies & get started.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch the club calendar for people inviting others to come over for a brew day. You'll learn a ton !! Hope you can make it to the next one too!

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonya's brother recommends http://www.howtobrew.com/
both the website and the book. Let me know how it goes.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home